coupledom

Joe and I are going to a potluck tomorrow. We were discussing whether it would be appropriate for me to make a dish, and for him to add his name on it. Guess whose idea that was? :-P

My gut reaction is “No! That’s wrong!” But then it makes me think, how come married couples–or even whole families–can get away with just bringing one dish together?

Does this mean that after we get married, our two dishes become one?

7 Responses

1. Does this mean that after we get married
    errr is there some BIG news we all missed? ;)

shyeah74 - June 26th, 2008 at 6:57 pm
  2. lol, that happens with me and jon…with potlucks, birthday gifts, christmas gifts. jon just signs his name on the bottom of the card, or splits the bill in half. good thing we’re definitely not married. :)

stacy - June 27th, 2008 at 4:21 am
  3. my thinking is that the dish should be a little more elaborate or just more in quantity if you are bringing food to represent more people. My mom will often send like 3 dishes since we have such a large family. I’ve noticed that some other families do that as well. But of course, there’s no hard and fast rule, sometimes the two of us will just bring drinks if it’s a tough week. Taking advantage of the “grace” factor!

Merry - June 27th, 2008 at 9:17 am
  4. hey yeah… is there some news i’m missing?!

Joe - June 27th, 2008 at 1:48 pm
  5. shyeah74: ask joe!
    joe: you started it!

hehehe

Victoria - June 27th, 2008 at 2:01 pm
  6. I think its understood that women do all the cooking! And men try to ride on the coat tails of their wives cooking talents.

garrett - June 29th, 2008 at 8:53 pm
  7. Hey, thanks for posting the video of Abby drinking water! I was thrilled for the distraction (currently at work), and I know my mom will be really excited – she doesn’t get to see that much on webcam.

I’m posting this here b/c I had a thought about your potluck thing – which is that Tom and I often end up taking turns to prepare something. It’s not really like we keep track of who did it last – it’s more like whether either one of us has a strong feeling about wanting to prepare something (which can also be read as whomever thinks they have the better idea for what to bring!). That seems to work for us in the sense that neither us feels burnt out about bearing the burden of preparation. Of course, this pre-supposes that both people in the couple actually have thoughts on the topic of potluck dish – which might be *Your* particular hurdle ;-)

Jo Kee - July 1st, 2008 at 1:08 pm